Farm Life - Sunflowers for smiles


Apart from veggie boxes I also enjoy preparing sunflower bunches. There's a fastidious attention to this task which is making sure it is neither too early or too late to pick them up, and ensuring arranging various bunches with different sizes as some like smaller ones while others prefers a giant bunch. Again it's one of those jobs that brings joy and smiles!



What makes those sunflowers more special is that they are organic and locally grown with so much love and care. I have to admit I had little or no knowledge around pesticides for flowers and there are no regulations around it hence it's been exploited!!!! That's why I decided to start a conversation to raise this issue so that people like myself become more aware.


So last week I volunteered to sell sunflowers in the town of Ashburton. I thought it'd give me a good reason to come out my comfort zone and the farm, and would be a good opportunity to promote "organic" flowers! Believe it or not iqt turned out to be the most delightful day! Those gorgeous flowers simply make people look twice and puts a big smile on them even under a face mask!


It was so lovely to have a little chatter with locals and witness a flood of kindness as I heard various stories  like when a couple of people turned half way back saying "Actually my friend isn't feeling well. These would cheer her up." or "I'll get a bunch to make a stranger smile."



As I sat there for three hours saluting people  I made a friend, Michael, who was selling the Big Issue magazine near me. While my flowers were selling fast he told me he only sold one magazine in three days just then. But then guess what he did. He came and bought a bunch of flowers for an elderly lady who bought that one magazine he sold in three days! I was honestly shocked and of course as being me asked him. Michael explained that they were good friends and that she was a regular customer of his. "We even go out for dinner at times." he said, "I like making people happy and she's a kind soul". This was the first time they met since the lockdown and he wanted to make this friend happy.

I was touched by Michael's generosity and I ended up buying a Big Issue to make him happy.



                                                             "Happy sunflower day!"


Organic and locally grown at the Oxen Park Farm
Add caption


Comments

Popular Posts