From Dirty to Sacred

 


I was 13. It was a cold and gloomy winter’s day. It had already been a challenging year and I was feeling particularly edgy that day. I soon discovered why: A splash of blood in my pants. My first bleed. I was petrified. “This year brought yet another curse..” I wrote in my diary. It was unwelcome because it marked the start of my sins from then on. I wasn’t an innocent girl but a woman with "potential" sins. In the culture I grew up in, women called themselves "dirty” when they were on their period. They weren't welcome to touch a newborn baby, go to a mosque or fast. 

In retrospect, I never saw my period as a sacred part of my womanhood and perceived it as a “nuisance” as it always arrived at inconvenient times, gave me severe cramps and extreme PMS, and obviously made me sinful. (!) Over the years I got over the shame and stopped seeing it as something that needed to be kept secret but my relationship with my period stayed pretty complex! 

As I’ve been reclaiming my superwoman powers for the last few years, it was inevitable for me to reexamine my relationship with my period. Books have been definitely a good source, talking to other women and attending conscious women’s groups have also been nourishing. My learnings have been rich on both emotional and practical levels. Cyclical living aka following your monthly cycle helps increase my wellbeing, energy levels, and potential. I discovered that my womb is where life starts and it’s a woman's first brain. What this means is that I can tap into my intuition if I can connect to my womb. So the truth is my period is my power!

….

Age 36. I was at the Buddhafields Festival. It was a bright, sunny day. I was in my element. I don’t usually wear white but the mood called for it. Later that day I noticed my white pants were no longer white but RED as they were covered with blood. “Ah, you “nuisance”, why today!!!???” I said in my initial shock but then I paused. No, I said, I take it back. Welcome. Welcome. "Dear period, you are always welcome." I felt as light as a feather and I felt whole. My heart expanded. 

….

Age (still) 36. I was on a women-only Buddhist retreat. It was a Full Moon. 🌕 My bleed synced with it. We had a beautiful ceremony during the moonrise with all its glory. Everyone retired to their rooms afterward but my own ceremony was yet to start. It was unplanned, and came instinctively. I offered my blood to the land under the full moon as I recognised it as a blessing. I feel like this little private ceremony helped nourish my relationship with my period once again as my blood nourished the plants.

Recommendations

- Please get a menstrual cup! It’s more comfortable than tampons and environmentally friendly. Diva cup is my favourite. 

- Read the book Period Power

- If you are in the UK attend Denise’s workshops https://www.earthdances.co.uk/

Comments

Popular Posts