Back to The Journey: The Art of Giving and Backrow

Teaching yoga came to me so naturally. No pressure, no tension or discomfort. I figured out (and shared it with you here) that it was because my muscle memory knew what was happening as I was working with my body not with my mind. And when you manage to shift your focus from your mind down to your body that’s all yoga is about. I felt similarly when I had the opportunity to lead the backrow in Embercombe's Journey last October. It was my dream to hold this position and I was left speechless when I was offered the role so soon. I was rejuvenated and confident while in the role because once again I wasn’t acting with just my mind. My heart was completely in it, and everything I needed was in my heart. And, as happens when you experience anything with your heart, the transformation happened there and then.

Here's an insight to what it means to backrow - volunteering at the self-leadership programme called The Journey.

You know the feeling when you eat something dizzyingly delicious. Whatever you’re eating is so good that you can’t stop making those humming sounds and without even thinking you offer a bite to the person next to you; a friend, partner, mum, child, etc. That desire to share comes automatically. There’s no gain from your end but your wish to share seems instinctive. That’s what I call the art of giving. Neither your ego nor any sort of personal gain is involved, you  simply want that person to have that experience you were engaged in. This is exactly why I keep backrow-ing at The Journey. Giving back to the land and people who helped me have that extraordinary experience I had and to give it forward to those who are about to embark on their own journeys.

The excitement starts building up as we prepare the site for newcomers. Fresh flowers in the vases, sacred water from the well and the children’s fire at the hearth. How do you know if the space is ready? The answer given to me by Stephane* was simple and wise  “You look around and see if there’s anything that would make the place a little better. If the answer is yes then do it”. As Journeyers show up one after another all those names on paper come to life in person. Most Journeyers unsurprisingly feel apprehensive and nervous walking into this mysterious programme as they don’t know what’s to come but at the same time they are the bravest people to have the courage to show up despite this fear of the unknown.  As they say being courageous doesn’t mean you aren’t scared of anything it means “you feel the fear but do it anyway”. This is the time when the backrow starts reflecting on their experiences. That very first feeling, that thought they had as they travelled along the driveway from the gate to the reception. “What am I walking into?” ,“Why am I here?”. So we understand. We empathise. That’s why only those who have been to The Journey can volunteer at The Journey as this role requires empathy, understanding and that sense of giving back.

As backrow we walk along with the Journeyers. We’re always there; with them witnessing their journeys and behind the scenes but we don’t lead them or draw them into our own worlds and journeys as everyone’s experience is unique to them. Why? Because everyone is unique as they are and it’s essential for us to make enough space for them to explore their own expedition in their own ways and as they are.  That’s how the Journey’s been designed; allowing individuals to take what's offered and make it as they wish and as it suits their needs. 

As backrow we’re gifted to walk the twin trail. We  show up every day for our commitments to hold space while each of us go on our own individual journeys as things come up for us too whilst we reminisce about our own journey or hear a story that resonates with us deeply. I called this as a gift as it prepares you for the world out there where you need to walk both paths simultaneously.  In the plainest explanation we enjoy our days and life with people we love with privileges we have without falling into despair but at the same time do the things that we can do to help humankind, to save the planet and maybe, hopefully change the systems that don’t serve us anymore. 


Every morning when backrow meets for their own check-in and task allocation, we take a moment to reflect on the experiences we had during our journeys and what we remember about our backrows` role. This really helps to remind ourselves why we are there and what we want to offer: The best possible experience that everyone could have, just as we did! 


I always hear backrow say things like “Oh this is my favourite day as it was such a special experience…” For me every day is my favourite whenever I backrow... however cheesy that may sound! And I’ve backrowed quite a few times now and had the privilege to lead as well which I touched base at the beginning.


Photo credit to Dave Hampton. With Gratitude. 

Comments

Popular Posts