On a day to day basis it's easy to forget the cause(s) we're supporting at work and why I chose to be in this sector. But yesterday volunteering at one of our destitution centres made me feel more connected to the work we do and I've felt something bigger than my 'to-do-list'.


Helping Vera cook lunch for so many, watching people having heated conversations, some people going through hundreds and hundreds photos to find their missing loved ones via the "trace the face" system, some attending ukulele class, others learning English, people doing their laundry, collecting their weekly food.. Everything there was so simple yet essential for those who have barely any rights in this country. They've landed here a decade or longer ago but still have no papers..


One of the beneficiaries who was blind, a very delightful man made a song for the ukulele teacher and sang it with a full heart, to express his gratitude. Then there was spoken word and this week's theme was 'home' a concept that's close to my heart. I really enjoyed the buzz, incredible stories and warm smiles of those who couldn't speak English.

If this is something you'd like to get involved and have a few hours to spare on Mondays and/or Thursday DM me or visit bit.ly/2AksQGV to find out more! The centre is based in Dalston/Hackney and always needs volunteers.

Comments

Popular Posts